3.31.2012

Thrifter's Paradise


Crafty girls from Texas immediately light up when they hear the word "Canton".

That's right, the giant flea market out in East Texas, only about 2 hours from where I live. And when I say giant, I mean it. The First Monday Trade Days, which occur the weekend before the first Monday of each month, claims to be the largest flea market in the United States. I'd believe it! It operates on over 100 acres of land, and provides space for around 6,000 vendors. There's so much to see that their website recommends you go and stay for the whole weekend.

We used to go as a family occasionally when I was small, but enormous flea markets and small, whiny children don't usually mix. I haven't been back in at least 10 years, so when my friend asked if I wanted to go with her and her roomie I just couldn't say no. 



Even though it was cloudy and had rained, and even though we had to walk a pretty long way from where we parked, it was so worth it. Here's just a few of the cars that showed up for the excitement.


This was hands down my favorite booth. This photo only covers about 1/8 of what they had. Vintage aprons, embroidered tea towels and pillowcases, crocheted tablecloths...I was in 50's housewife heaven.

We spotted lots of college themed things while we were there. All 3 of us agreed that we'd love to have this hanging in our future homes. Go Frogs! 

Becca's rocking chair she got for $70...such a steal!

We only stayed for about 2 1/2 hours, but there were so many things I could've bought. Unfortunately for me, rent was due today so I'm kind of money-less until payday next week. *sigh* But I still had a fabulous time, and can't wait to go back when I have cash to spend! If you're ever in Texas, I'd definitely recommend taking the time to visit Canton. There's something for everyone! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment