2.28.2012

My newest love in the kitchen

With hopes of pan searing some steaks for the Boyfriend and I, I bought my first iron skillet a couple of weeks ago. It was just a 12" Lodge skillet from Target, and I got it for less than $20. But it's quickly becoming my new favorite kitchen tool. I've used it to brown beef for lasagna, cook stirfry (see the delicious-looking photo below), and even found a yummy skillet cookie recipe I plan on trying soon.


If you don't have an iron skillet, I definitely recommend getting one. They can be used in so many ways, and there are tons of "one skillet" recipes out there. My dishwasher isn't working quite right, so the less dishes I have to wash by hand the better! Plus once your skillet has been used a couple of times,  you don't have to use extra oil to cook in it because the surface is naturally nonstick. 
Less fat  = healthier = happy Lauren

A couple of things to remember, though: 
*Skillets get super hot...even the handles. So don't touch them directly (use potholders or a glove!) - I learned this one the hard way, unfortunately. :P
*There are a bunch of different opinions out there about how to care for your skillet. Take the time to Google it and read a little bit about your new piece of kitchen equipment.

Happy cooking! 

2 comments:

  1. Yum, that stirfry looks so delicious! I can definitely see how a skillet could quickly become a kitchen essential.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED when my mom cooked with a cast iron skillet! I REALLY need to get one!

    ReplyDelete