4.16.2012

Makeover Monday


They're everywhere right now. Photos on my Facebook newsfeed of girls wrapped around their beaus, showing off the giant sparkly ring on their left hand. Yes, I'm talking about engagements. I'm in my early 20s and not even out of college yet, but many people I know are already getting engaged, marrying, and having babies. 
Now I'm not going to get into the whole, "why the heck is everyone getting married so young?!" thing. Even though that's exactly what I'm thinking right now. Because although I love The Boyfriend and yes it would be awesome to get married to him now, both of us understand that A) we're not ready and B) why not take the time to get to know eachother before we decide to seal the deal? You only get one chance at this, so you might as well take some time and make sure that they're really "THE ONE".
But enough ranting and onto the point of this. When a friend (or family member or a work acquaintance or whatever) gets married, you usually buy them a gift. That's what wedding showers are for. The problem for me is, these people register for some expensive stuff. I mean seriously...I am a broke college student. I love you hon, but I don't have that kind of money. So what's a girl to do? 
Here are a few cute ideas for unique wedding presents that may not be on that Target gift list, but will still make her smile and let her know you're thinking of her and her future hubby.
{click the photo to go to its source!}

"I <3 you because..." printable
Kiki & Company has this printable on sale for $10 on her Etsy shop, or if you're handy with graphics you can make your own! Mat the print and put it in a pretty frame. Include a dry erase marker so they can write in a new reason each day. :)

Chalkboard serving tray
After seeing this cute DIY project on the Wit & Whistle blog, I've started exploring thrift stores and garage sales for inexpensive ceramic trays to transform. All you need for this project is a ceramic serving tray and a bottle of chalkboard paint. Add a stick of chalk and a recipe for an appetizer and you've got a cute gift for a couple who likes to host parties. 

Cleaning bucket
This gift may sound boring, but these are things that people don't realize they actually need when they move into their new place together. This cleaning kit is housed in a plastic bucket, but I would choose one made out of galvanized metal instead. It looks cute and is still functional. Include things like paper towels, antibacterial wipes, gloves, dusting spray, air freshener, ect. If you're extra-ambitious (or your recipient likes to be environmentally-friendly) you can even make your own cleaning supplies. There are a million recipes for everything from Windex to Febreze, all conveniently located online. 

Matching mugs
These mugs are from Promise Pottery, and they're priced at $40. While these are rustic and adorable, you can also make your own with plain ceramic mugs and ceramic paint pens (which cost about $5 each). Here's an example of one I found on Spearmint Wedding:
Adorable, right? Now I just need to find a husband who actually likes coffee...
...Just kidding Boyfriend. ;)

Custom address stamp
I found this one (along with many others) at the precious lettergirl shop on Etsy. This stamp is $42, but I included it because this would be a great gift for couples who already know where they will be living after they are married. Wouldn't these be perfect for all of those thank you notes they have to write? I kinda want one of these for myself. 

Kitchen gadget & favorite recipe(s)
Along with the chalkboard tray, you could gift your favorite couple a nice cutting board (maybe one in the shape of your favorite state?). Tie on a recipe, or even a small recipe book with a couple of recipes written in, and you've got a gift that will bring the newlyweds together in the kitchen...or at least help them feed themselves. ;)

Have you ever given a unique/awesome wedding present to someone you know? Would you choose any of these gifts?

No comments:

Post a Comment