4.09.2012

Makeover Monday


Okay, confession time.

I do not wash my hair every day. I don't even wash my hair every other day. 
I'm pretty sure some of y'all are grossing out right now. 
But my hair is so fine and fragile that washing it even every other day led to some major damage. (Well that and the bleaching I did a year and a half ago that I almost have grown out). 

Confession #2: I don't use commercial shampoo anymore. Yes, I am one of those people who has transitioned to the "no poo" lifestyle. Have you heard of "no poo"? Here is the Wikipedia article on it. As weird as it sounds, I promise I'm not a hippie. I haven't given up regular deodorant, I still use normal cosmetic products, and I don't preach the evils of sugar and grain (I loves me some bread). But after regular shampoo was leaving my already-damaged hair in even worse condition, I decided that I had nothing to lose.

This is my hair a couple of weeks ago...it has so much more volume now that I wash it this way

Here's how I "made over" my hair products. This isn't secret, classified information. I actually stumble across it on Pinterest on a regular basis. All you need for shampoo is water and baking soda, and for conditioner you'll need apple cider vinegar and water. Seriously. It's that easy. You'll also need bottles to put the mixtures in. As you can see from the photo below, I just used one of my empty SmartWater bottles with a squeeze top. So convenient.

just noticed that the baking soda is missing from this photo...but you know what that looks like, right? Okay...here's a photo from the Arm & Hammer website:

The ratio most people follow is one tablespoon of baking soda (for shampoo) or vinegar (for conditioner) to one cup (8 oz) of water. My bottles were 23.7 oz, so I just rounded up to 24 and used three tablespoons in each bottle of water. Just pour the baking soda or vinegar in the bottle, fill it up the rest of the way with water, and shake to mix. Then whenever you go to take a shower, gently shake the bottle and use like regular shampoo and conditioner.

Here are the 2 bottles in my shower

Since it's almost summer and I will be outside a lot, I added a tablespoon of lemon juice to my vinegar. Lemon juice may lighten your hair if you're in the sun a lot (that's why I included it), so use at your own risk (AKA don't come looking for me if you end up blonde haha). Some people are wary of the vinegar, but it doesn't make your hair smell at all. If you're still concerned, it's fine to include a few drops of essential oil.

21 comments:

  1. can you use regular vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes....Katherine Cashin...you can use white vinegar instead. For years, I've used one half cup of vinegar(no I don't dilute it). Pour in on your hair, wait for a 2-3 minutes, and rinse.....
      I also use baking soda & water & one egg to shampoo my hair. I rarely buy shampoo...

      Delete
  2. If you're concerned about the vinegar use honey instead. It has a great smell and will give a beautiful shine. Keep as same ration as the ACV

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this okay for dry curly hair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is perfectly fine for curly hair!
      make sure not to overuse baking soda/vinegar, as it can dry out your hair.
      used correctly, the results are amazing!

      Delete
  4. Is this okay for dry curly hair

    ReplyDelete
  5. do you have a "before and after" pic?

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mother used to rinse my long hair with apple cider vinegar and water when I was a little girl. She grew up in London during the war, they didn't have much and her mother did the same for her. Something to be said for the basics, and no there is no vinegar smell after you rinse with water, just squeaky clean shiny hair with no buildup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would it be okay to do half honey and half AVC?

    ReplyDelete
  8. How often do you wash your hair with this concoction?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use acv with a few drops of rosemary and lavendar oil. The oils help with the smell and are both supposedly good for your scalp.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, i have habit of massaging my head wid coconut & walnut oil one night before my hair wash for better hair growth. Would this shampoo be able to remove d oil completely??

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you rinse after the ACV or leave it in?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is this ok for hair that is dyed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will fade colored hair, but is good to use the night before you color to remove product buildup.

      Delete
  13. will this damage/change the nature color of hair or not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been doing the no poo for 4 Years,my hair is amazing. I started as I had a sensitive scalp, this no poo formula fixed it. My hair is thicker and has a better natural colour.

      Delete
  14. Not likely, if continued use of soda as rinse.

    ReplyDelete
  15. can it be used for hair with chemical

    ReplyDelete
  16. How do I make this. My scalp is very dry n my hair is thick n its starting to die

    ReplyDelete