4.24.2012

Makeover Monday (on a Tuesday)

I had this post all typed up and ready to go Sunday night, when lo and behold my camera cord had to go missing. I swear I'd lose my head if it weren't attached sometimes...*sigh* But after a lengthy search of my teensy apartment, I found that sneaky cord hiding under my couch cushion. How it got under there is unknown. Details pending...But for now enjoy Makeover Monday (on a Tuesday)!


A couple of months ago, The Boyfriend's mom gave me a big old frame that she no longer needed in her home. I didn't know what I'd use it for, but I'm not one to turn down free stuff. It sat propped up against a wall in my living room until last week, when I decided that it would become a cork board. This is a super easy makeover, but can help you organize yourself while decorating your wall too! I plan on putting this above the eating area in my living room. 

I got mine for free, but you can easily find a frame at your local Goodwill. Try to find one with a backing to hold your sheet of cork in, but if you can't find one like that then go to a craft store and grab a foam core board. Cut it to size and you have a backing for your cork board!


Take out the original photo/print

Cut your cork sheet to size. Make sure to measure twice and cut once! I learned this the hard way... To cut the cork board I would suggest using a craft knife instead of scissors. You can get a clean, accurate cut and if your blade is sharp it should slice through the cork easily. 

Put the cut cork into frame, and use a hot glue gun to secure the corners (if needed)

Replace the backing and secure

Add hangers if you want this up on a wall

And you're done!

With a 50% off coupon my roll of cork cost only $7.50, and I had a lot left over (now looking for more cork projects). My frame was free, and I already had the hangers at my apartment. I may buy some particleboard to make the backing of the cork board stronger, but for now I'm just leaving the foam core board on. For less than $10 and 30 minutes of work I now have a cute cork board to hang on my wall. 

This will be useful to organize the last few weeks of school I have left. I see the light at the end of the tunnel, and I am so ready to get there. 2 1/2 weeks to go!

1 comment: