11.09.2011

Oh sweet coconut...

I found this recipe back in March on The Pastry Affair, and immediately knew that I had to make them. My boyfriend loves (and I mean LOVES) coconut cake, so what better reason to whip up a batch? ;)  Plus I adore coconut cream pie and I adore cupcakes. Add those together and what could be better? Exactly.

Unfortunately, life got in the way and I completely forgot this recipe in the back of my archives...until now. Our 1 year is today and I made these for the best boyfriend in the whole entire universe (If/when you read this, I love you very much). We've had a couple of rough patches recently but there's nobody else I'd rather make coconut cupcakes for. :) Okay, now that I've been completely mushy and have everyone gagging, here we go with the cupcakes...

For the cupcakes (makes 12):
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), room temp
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sweetened flake coconut
2 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup coconut milk
Filling:
1/2 cup coconut cream (not milk!)
1 cup toasted coconut flakes
(I toasted mine in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes on a cookie sheet)
Whipped Cream Frosting:
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbs sugar

Preheat your oven at 350 degrees. Beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy.


Add in the eggs one at a time, mixing after each one. Include the vanilla at this time.


In a separate bowl, mix together the coconut, flour, and baking powder. Pour about 1/3 of this into the wet ingredients and mix until smooth.



Then pour in 1/3 of the cup of the coconut milk and do the same. Alternate flour mixture and milk in this manner until it is all incorporated into the wet ingredients.


Spoon the batter into a lined (or greased) cupcake pan, filling each cup about 3/4 of the way full.


Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Remove from pan and let cool on a baking rack.


Then carve out a well in the middle of the top of each cupcake and put a spoonful of the filling in.



Replace the top and pipe on the whipped cream. Sprinkle with a little bit of coconut to make it pretty!


Love you hon!

No comments:

Post a Comment