1.28.2012

Carrot Bread



I have way too much food in my freezer at the moment, so I'm looking for new and inventive recipes to clear things out. For some reason I bought lots of shredded carrots when they were on sale and now completely regretting that decision. Some girls impulse buy shoes...I impulse buy groceries. This is my life. Anyway, after furiously looking up recipes with pureed carrots I found this one. As usual I made a few changes...Here is my full ingredient list (the original recipe is located in the link above):

1 bag of shredded carrots 
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup white sugar
2 large eggs
1/3 cup greek yogurt

*Don't forget to preheat your oven to 350 degrees! Not that I ever forget...haha*
1. Cook your carrots until soft. Then drain them and puree. 
(I put mine in my bullet blender and pulsed until they were almost all mush with some small chunks. Set them aside
2. Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl and set aside
3. Cream together butter and sugars
4. Add eggs and mix well
5. Add carrots and yogurt
6. Gently fold in flour mixture until just combined
7. Pour into a loaf pan and put in the oven. Bake for 30-40 minutes, depending on how hot your oven is. Mine took 35 minutes. Stick a toothpick in and it should come out dry or with only a few crumbs.
8. Take it out and let it cool for 10 minutes, then run a knife along the edges and release it on a cutting board or cookie sheet.

 This recipe made my little apartment smell sooooo good! Although carrots are naturally sweet, this was definitely not a sugary sweet bread (maybe it would have been sweeter with the extra sugar), but I really enjoyed it. It was sweet like cornbread. Like a savory sweet? Either way, I would definitely make it again. But maybe I would add a little bit of cinnamon next time. Yum. ;) Now to tackle the rest of my freezer!

No comments:

Post a Comment