6.30.2011

Eggplant Parmesan

My mom injured her arm and is taking it easy, so I decided to take on dinner tonight. She had already picked out recipes and bought ingredients. All I had to do was cook everything. On the menu was eggplant parmesan, green been bundles, and baked potato casserole. I'll cover the two side dishes in future posts, but for now I'm going to focus on the eggplant parmesan. We got the recipe from Whole Foods' website

First, I sliced up 2 large eggplants


After that I dipped each slice in a beaten egg, then in panko bread crumbs and laid them on a baking sheet. They went in the oven for 15 minutes at 375 degrees, then were flipped and baked for another 15 minutes.


Once my eggplant slices were cooked, I removed them from the oven and laid them in a single layer in a 9x13 baking dish. I topped that with a layer of tomato sauce (about half a jar), then a layer of mozzerella & parmesan cheeses (about 1/3 cup each). 




After two layers of each ingredient and ending with cheese, I popped the dish back in the oven for 20  minutes (until the cheese was well-browned on top). 
PS, that corner with no cheese on it was not a mistake. I think I'm lactose intolerant, so I'm trying to cut it out of my diet. Lame. :/


This is definitely a good comfort food for vegetarians and meat-lovers alike. Way back near the beginning of this blog I made chicken parmesan, but you can substitute chicken in this recipe as well if you're not a fan of eggplant. My mom always insists on having plenty of food, so I doubled the recipe she gave me. The original amount would be great for 4 people, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment