3.01.2011

Baker's Block

Between school and a death in the family I just don't have much inspiration to bake or cook. It's much easier to just make a pot of coffee. So to get out of this rut I decided to go inspiration-searching on the internet...And here's what I found.

LOTS (and I mean LOTS) of yummy desserts:

Like the Almond Joy cookies from "Can you stay for dinner?"
almond joy cookies and milk



Or the white chocolate coconut cupcakes from Woman's Day
Coconut Cupcakes with Coconut-White Chocolate Frosting Recipe
But right now the idea of baking something so sweet kinda makes me sick. I'm looking for savory, salty goodness. I'm looking for dinner, not dessert. So I turned to a different source: My home cookbook. A collection of recipes my grandmother, mom, and I have collected from various sources and compiled  (theirs are in actual books and mine in Word Documents). There I found what I will be making for dinner tonight.


Chicken Enchiladas

*4 lbs chicken
*16 oz cream cheese
* 1 onion
* 2 packages Monterey jack cheese (shredded)
* 2 cups whipping cream (2 of the smallest cartons)
* Package of small tortillas (about 20)

Boil/cook chicken, debone (if needed) and shred
Saute’ onions
Mix chicken with cream cheese and onions
Roll mixture in tortillas
Arrange in pans (you’ll need 2)
Cover with shredded cheese (1 package for each pan)
Pour whipping cream on top (1 cup/carton for each pan)
Cover with foil
Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes

*Except since this is just for boyfriend and me, I'll be halving it, if not dividing it into fourths. I'm thinking black beans and cilantro lime rice for the sides...I need to go grocery shopping after class. Which reminds me, I'm running late. Gotta go to 2 test reviews today...Ugh. 10 days to Spring Break, no biggie.
Have a terrific Tuesday! :)


No comments: