3.03.2011

Chick-chick-chicken

Tonight I cooked chicken enchiladas for dinner from the recipe I posted in the last post. This Tuesday was pretty stressful, to say the least, and the boyfriend and I needed something relaxing. So he studied, and I cooked dinner for the both of us. Here's what I did:

I began by boiling chicken breasts from Kroger, then let them cool down and shredded them.
To that I added onions/green chilis I had saute'ed in vegetable oil, and fat free cream cheese (I'm trying to watch what I eat...don't tell Matt!).

I took regular flour tortillas (the small fajita size) and spooned some of the chicken/cream cheese mixture into them, rolled them up, then squeezed them into my small glass 8x8 pan (I think I fit 6? 7?...7).


I covered them with about 1/2 package of shredded Monterrey Jack cheese...Yum, cheese...
Then I poured about 2/3 of a small carton of whipping cream (yeah that kinda contradicts the whole 'watching my weight' thing huh?) over the whole thing, slightly separating them so that the cream could get in between.

Then I baked it at 350 on the middle rack in my oven for about 20 minutes while I made cilantro lime rice and heated up some black beans.

Finally I transferred the dish to the top rack and turned it up to about 375-400 for another 8-10 minutes to melt the top a little bit more.

We took the delicious food back to my room and watched the Dallas Mavs win...I would've preferred the Stars (hockey > basketball) but we don't get that channel at TCU. Afterwards my boyfriend was in a considerably better mood, which only proves my point that food = happiness.

(PS: I divided this recipe into semi-fourths, so the original recipe makes a TON of enchiladas...Perfect for a potluck or Bible study or party or whenever you just need to feed a lot of hungry people!)

No comments:

Post a Comment