3.25.2011

These muffins are B-A-N-A-N-A-S

I know, I know, it's been about a week since I baked last. But never fear, I've come back with a lovely banana bread/muffin recipe from my mom. And it goes a little somethin' like this:

Banana Bread

1/2 cup crisco or oil
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
4 tablespoons buttermilk
3-4 large bananas ripe
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda

cream the oil and sugar together until light and fluffy. add the vanilla and mix well. mash the bananas and add to mixture. 



add the buttermilk and the eggs and beat until combined. 



mix the flour and the baking soda together and add to the sugar/banana mixture, just until combined. don't over mix now.

pour into loaf pan that has been greased and floured lightly. bake at 375 for about 55 minutes or until done in the center.
*cover with foil if it starts to get too brown, before the center is fully done.


Except I ate waaaaay too much over Spring Break and Summer is only 44 days away (at least for TCU students). And I'm on a major health kick. But I'm craving sweets. So I substituted the 1/2 cup of oil for applesauce and added 1 tablespoon of olive oil to get a good consistency. And I totally couldn't find any buttermilk so I just used whole milk. And I used 3 bananas, because that's how many I grabbed from the BLUU. Oh, instead of baking it in a loaf pan, I baked it in a muffin pan and it made 20 muffins. The baking time was about 16-18 minutes.
I even added chocolate chips to some of them!

And they turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself. A yummy treat that I can eat without feeling TOO guilty...Plus they're great with tea or coffee! Perfect for those long nights of studying I'm having to put in this week and next.

No comments:

Post a Comment