7.14.2011

Green Monster Rawwwwrrr

I love drinking smoothies, especially for breakfast, because they feel indulgent and off-limits but really aren't. I like to drink one along with my usual english muffin, and my favorite version involves frozen strawberries and orange juice. However when I found this healthy smoothie on Pinterest and saw that it tastes like cookie dough, I knew I had to try it out. Plus, it gets the pretty green color from a handful of fresh spinach. Tastes good AND good for you? Sign me up.

The smoothie recipe is from Full Measure of Happiness, and goes like this:


  • 1 cup skim milk
  • 1 ripe banana
  • 1/3 cup uncooked old-fashioned oats (though you could use quick oats, too)
  • 2 handfuls spinach
  • 2 tbs vanilla Carnation Instant Breakfast (you can substitute 1 tsp vanilla extract)
  • ice 
Combine milk, instant breakfast, oats, spinach, banana, and ice in your blender in that order. Both the original blogger and I froze our banana for this smoothie, eliminating the need for ice. She isn't a fan of Instant Breakfast and said that you can substitue a teaspoon of vanilla extract if you agree (or don't have any on hand). Also, since I'm lactose sensitive and trying to cut it out, I used coconut milk instead, so mine will not taste the same as yours if you use regular milk. :)

Here's my finished product. 




These pictures were taken after I had drank about half of my smoothie...I just couldn't wait. ;) While this smoothie isn't going to fool you into thinking you're drinking a cookie dough milkshake, it's a pretty yummy comparison. The oats did give it an oatmeal cookie-like taste, but the texture was a little bit weird at first. Maybe that could have been remedied by blending it for a little bit longer. I'll have to try that next time. And for those of you who are wondering "What about the spinach??", you really can't taste it at all.  Promise. 

If you're looking for a quick and healthy way to start your day, here's your smoothie. I can already tell that I'll be making one of these to take to my 8am class once school starts again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment