8.02.2011

Nutella & dulce de leche - What more could you need?

I bought a giant jar of Nutella from WalMart the other day, and after eating half of it on tortillas and by the spoonful, I decided that I needed to make something with it before I ate the rest of it. After searching "local" blogs, I found Just Putzing Around the Kitchen and her dulce de leche-Nutella loaf cake. Having made a batch of dulce de leche a couple of weeks ago, I decided that this recipe would do quite nicely. However, when reading that it required a cup of vanilla ice cream and realizing that I did not have said ice cream, I was discouraged. So I just changed the recipe up a bit like I usually do. :) Instead of using the vanilla ice cream called for, I used 1 cup of whole milk along with 1/2 cup regular white sugar.
(Recipe borrowed from JustPutzing)


Ingredients:
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream, melted at room temperature.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup dulce de leche
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt

In a large bowl, mix together ice cream, eggs, vanilla, and dulce de leche until well-combined. The dulce de leche will make the batter clumpy, but just keep working at it until everything is smooth.



Add dry ingredients.




Pour most of the batter into a greased/floured loaf pan. Save about 1/2 cup for later.



Add nutella to the loaf pan in well-spaced spoonfuls. Top with remaining batter. Then, run a knife through the whole thing to create a nice swirl/marbled pattern.



Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the cake starts to come away from the side of the pan.



This cake turned out okay. I probably shouldn't have substituted the whole milk/sugar for the vanilla ice cream, but I'm not patient enough to wait and buy it. The outsides were completely done after 35 minutes, but the middle was almost raw. Boo. I didn't want to cook it anymore because I didn't want it to get too dry. After letting it sit on the counter for a while, however, the inside firmed up a bit. This cake wasn't too sweet, which some may not like but was fine for me. I spread it with a mixture of Nutella and dulce de leche, and ate it with a glass of coconut milk. Yum. 

No comments:

Post a Comment